Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Identifying Rounds

How are you guys identifying your rounds?

For example, I'm loading 9mm in 115gr, 124gr, 147gr and 165gr round nose.

I would load 100 rounds of 115gr for plinking but also 165gr for subsonic rounds.
    But what I'm running into is that if I load a magazine and leave it for a few weeks, I have no clue what the round is.

I've started to use nickel brass on my hollow points for home defense so that made it easy to identify.

What I've thought of was to mark each round with a colored sharpie on the headstamp to indicate the bullet weight.

What are you guys doing?

Title
    Premium Member
    You can use a sharpie and color the primer or put lines on the cases to identify them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Probably do the same thing I did for my wife when she took some defense training and didn't know how many rounds each of the pistols that I gave her to use held. I cut small pieces off a roll of white electrical tape and put them on the bottom of the mags with the loaded qty written on it with a fine sharpie. You could do the same by writing 115, 124 etc on it and not having to mark every bullet you own individually.

I just use load labels for the individual box's that I load for id using MS Excel.

Title
    Premium Member
    I case gauge all mine in this. I only use one load, but since I load 9 Major, I mark mine so I can identify live rounds on the ground as mine. Anything I pick up without a mark gets broken down and the brass recycled.

hundo full (Small).jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
    I color code primers when I test various loads That would probably work for you to distinguish different loads you store.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    MY ammo all goes into standard GI surplus metal boxes or similar Harbor Freight plastic boxes - labeled with blue masking tape and black, medium felt marker.
    Magazines found loaded in strategic spots in my home, cars and truck are all SD, all the same.
    I just don't leave magazines filled EXCEPT SD stuff.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks everyone. I have the MTM Ammo Crates for most of my ammo and they have the 100 round plastic boxes in them.
    I do label these with the bullet weight and powder type/charge.

I think I'll try the sharpie on the primer/headstamp to indicate bullet weight.